Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cloth napkins and Memories

I bought these cloth napkins a couple of months ago at an estate sale. They brought back good memories of Sunday lunch... roast, mashed potatoes with roast gravy, green beans, rolls. Okay, now I'm hungry. Anyway, we always ate Sunday lunch at the dining room table and used cloth napkins. My mother taught me how to iron the cloth napkins when I was a little girl. I washed these napkins and when I took them out of the dryer they were SO wrinkled. I thought to myself, "oh, I'm going to have to iron these " and then I remembered my mother teaching me how to iron them.

I was ironing something for one of the kids before school and I picked up one of the napkins and started ironing it. Memories came flooding back. I hadn't planned on ironing those cloth napkins that day, but as I stood there I just kept ironing. It felt good. It took me back to a time when I had no worries or responsibilities. I was just a little girl learning how to iron cloth napkins... iron out the wrinkles... fold, iron the crease... fold again, iron the crease... and fold again.



3 comments:

Marie De Marco said...

hi
i found your blog by chance, you know how the blogging thing goes one link then another and before you not hours have gone by. your story hits home i've experienced the same. thanks
blessings
marie

red.neck chic said...

Oh - I'm glad that you "ironed out" some time for you! ;-) I love cloth napkins but I'll confess...I iron them flat, then just fold them up! sssshhhhhhh.... don't tell anyone!

;-) robelyn

The Flying Bee said...

I really loved this post. What a great story. :)

xo,
Adrienne