Saturday, October 24, 2009

gYpSY wind chime 3 finished~

I've finished my third wind chime.... my second *gypsy* wind chime.
I'm having such a good time making these. I love glass beads and I'm enjoying experimenting with wire wrapping.


I started off with a twig and wrapped wire around it to hang the chains from. Then I spent a couple of weeks wire wrapping the glass beads and arranging them on different kinds of chains.






After I got the chains the lengths I wanted and in just the right place hanging from the twig I wrapped "gypsy-looking" material around the wire that was wrapped around the twig. I cut strips from an old satin-y scarf that my mother had bought somewhere... I'm sure at a garage sale. I have a huge pile of scarves that were hers. It was hard for me to cut it up, but I decided instead of them just sitting in a pile on my dresser, I would use them in my craft projects. I think my mother would have wanted me to do that. They had no sentimental value to her, they were just scarves that she bought because she thought they were pretty.




I'm happy with the way my gYpSY wind chime turned out and I plan to make many more.










~ a mixture of chains,
wire,
rich fall colored glass beads,
old keys,
bells
and little bit of velvet ribbon~












Below is the first wind chime I made. I called it my handmade, hippie wind chime. It hung on my front porch for awhile. Then I moved it and hung it in a tree in our backyard. We live on a bit of a hill and sometimes the wind is very gusty and strong. Slowly the beads starting blowing off so now my hippie wind chime no longer looks like this :O)



Below is the second wind chime I made. My FIRST gypsy wind chime and my favorite so far. I have it hanging in my dining room for now. I'm going to keep this one.

Sadly, the picture doesn't do it justice. I've found that it's actually hard to take pictures of my wind chimes that show how pretty they really are.


Thanks for stopping by... hope you enjoyed my little chimes.....

10 comments:

The Flying Bee said...

OMGsh! LOVE your second wind chime! The one in the last picture. It just speaks to me! Love the colors and items you chose! They are all beautiful, that one is just my fave! You are so creative!

xo,
Adrienne

LuLu said...

it's just beautiful!! I can just see the sun reflecting all the beautiful glass charms.. wow love them all,
xo,
LuLu

Barb Smith said...

I know I'm way late in finding your great post here but in searching the web for "handmade wind chimes" yours just spoke to me so much. These are so absolutely gorgeous! I am in total love with your creativity and the artful-ness of these beauties.
Peace & Love,
~Barb~

Shezza Ansloos said...

Pretty stuff. I love them. Very creative.

Shezza Ansloos said...

I love these. They are so pretty! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I just love your creations. I think they're very gypsy indeed and captures whimsy to a tee! It's certainly different from these modern versions: wind spinners.

Linda said...

I really love your gypsy windchimes. I have decided to dedicate this weekend to make some of my own. The last one is really beautiful!!

Peace,
Linda

Pam said...

Those are so cool. I really like them. Great job and thanks for sharing.

craftymom said...

Can you tell me where you purchased the chains, I can not seem to lay my hands on any around here. Thanks so much. Your chimes are Beautiful!

Jackie Oliver said...

These are so cute! I love how unique they are, and how each one is different. All of the little little knick knacks at the end of each strand are all so cute! I would totally hang something like this in my front yard.


http://www.ceecspecial.com/np1-listing-dept-30090